Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Welcome to Shelf-ish!

I've created this blog as a place to store my thoughts on libraries, both digital and otherwise. I come from a background that combines experience in traditional book publishing with several years as a web producer for a medical reference website. I completed my Master's in 2004, and took a job with the U of I's library school, helping them start an advanced degree program in digital libraries. I'm now enrolled in that program, with plans to explore the various options digitization provides for connecting with our patrons in new ways.

When thinking about the mission of libraries, I like to remind myself of this quote by John F. Kennedy:

We are not afraid to entrust the American people with unpleasant facts, foreign ideas, alien philosophies, and competitive values. For a nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

No comments: